Monday, October 6, 2014

Tips For Law School

Hi everyone, hopefully you're not suffering from the Monday blues too badly! As I'm gearing up to take the LSAT in December and begin the law school app process, I wanted to share with you all a few tip and tricks I've learned these past few years as an undergrad. 

Did you really think I'd pass up the opportunity to add a little something from Legally Blonde?

  • Begin studying for the LSAT as soon as possible. Everyone has the tendency to procrastinate, especially for tests like this. Don't. Do. It. Start studying as early and as much as you can. There is too much material to try to cram in a month before your test date. And at $170, you probably don't want to be retaking it if you don't have to.

  • Take LSAT Prep Courses. I can't tell you all how helpful these can be. Some of these courses can be pricey but if you talk to your Pre-Law advisor and have enough students interested, your school may be able to host a free session (mine did last year). Also, some programs may offer a second course for free if you're not happy with your LSAT score and plan on taking it again. In the end, even if you can't find a free one, they are definitely worth every dollar.

  • Don't sell your books back. I made this rookie mistake a few years back, and I am still getting over the regret. University book store rip you off 99.9% of the time anyway, so why not? My Con Law class had a book full of all of the Supreme Court Cases in it, it was a pretty pricey book (around $100, I think?). I got about $20 back for it, and later to find out everyone from class was planning on keeping for other classes. Yeah, still kicking myself over that one.

  • Same goes for notes. Keep a binder/storage box/whatever you may chose, and put all of your notes from classes in it. You never know when they may come in handy. My Con Law professor told us a story about how a former student of his kept all of his notes and used them in his law school level Con Law class, with help from that, he breezed through the class.

  • Get involved in moot court/mock trial. If your school has a moot court or mock trial team, get involved! Especially if you plan on becoming a lawyer. It wasn't until I joined my school's moot court team that I was set on wanting to become a lawyer. It really gives you insight on what it's like to be a lawyer/how much work it really takes. It looks great to law schools, and they also offer a bit of an incentive if you can make it to nationals. Every year Moot Court Nationals is held at a law school (last year it was held at Arizona State, this year it's at Florida International), that school offers a free application to every competitor, which is awesome! Even if you weren't considering that school before, with the price of applications today, you definitely can't pass that up.


Are any of you Pre-Law, or in law school currently? Share any tips you may have in the comments! Please follow via GFC or Blog Lovin' if you haven't!

6 comments:

  1. Great tips! Best of luck to you on the LSAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great tips! Good luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post has come at a perfect time -- I just signed up for the LSAT! Thanks for your tips :)

    Marissa // www.makinitwithmarissa.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, I am so studying for the December LSAT!! It's been tough balancing working full time along with studying for the exam but being in a prep course has helped me alot

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are great tips for getting started! I have a lot of posts related to once you are IN law school on my blog!
    LegallySouthern

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...